facebookpixel

what do u think – Asphalt or Coal tar?

Home Forums Sealcoating Materials what do u think – Asphalt or Coal tar?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

what do you think is better for asphalt drives RS90 oil based or cold tar water mix . i know theres a poll but i would like to hear the debt of the 2

I have never seen RS90 applied, but apparently this is a rejuvenator type sealant that has an asphalt base. I would not feel comfortable commenting on a material I am not familiar with. It might be a good idea to ask for job locations where this coating has been applied and if you can inspect a few locations that are a couple of years old you can make a reasonable comparison on wear.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Currently there are two primary types of sealcoating materials on the market: Those made from refined coal tar and those made from asphalt. Refined coal tar —a byproduct of the coking process— is a very complex mixture of thousands of chemicals and quite different in its molecular structure than asphalt. The coal tar molecules have a predominantly closed ring (aromatic) structure with a minor degree of un-saturation. Being stable in molecular structure, these chemicals do not allow the destructive elements of weather and chemicals to affect the property of coal tar. So for a variety of reasons, the most commonly used sealcoatings have, until recently, been based on refined coal tar. These sealcoatings act as “barrier coats” to protect asphalt surfaces.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.