facebookpixel

Truck Layout

Home Forums Pavement Striping Materials Truck Layout

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I have a Truck Stop to layout and I’m not sure of the standard spaces and if the standard angles are the same or if they are different.

admin
    Keymaster

Tru Trac – Dan from American Striping submits this answer to your question. He sent it to me in an email, so I will post it for him… he’ll be checking back in case you have any other questions. Best of luck!

A couple of things.

1) If it’s a brand new installation, I’m sure that there are drawings somewhere. If you’re a sub-contractor, the General contractor will have a set in his or her office. Don’t be afraid to ask for them. Take the sheet that applies to you.

2) If it’s an existing parking lot that someone will over lay or replace, get there first. Make a diagram. Count the stalls. Measure length of stripe, location and what I call “on the run” and also “true width”. Also, make sure that you can locate at least one stripe by measuring from something that will still be there after they tear out the parking lot. In other words…the first stripe is 24′ from the building and running parallel to it. Or the first stripe is 12′ off the huge concrete pad that will not be torn out.

3) If it’s the worst case scenario and the asphalt work is already complete and no one really remembers how it was, then I would approach the owner and say, “Hey, let’s go take a walk and figure this out. We’ll make it better than it was and I’ll stripe anything you want.”

Now to answer your question. I’ll bet the stalls were 12′ wide. Drive lanes are 12′ wide. 12′ is plenty. I’ll also bet that they were 60′ long. Maybe 65′. Some trailers have their length painted on the lower front corner. Most truck dock striping is 55′ long to accommodate just the trailer. If we add the length of the tractor, the stripe may be 70′. The owner is the best person to decide the length. With those 2 numbers, 12′ wide and 60′ long, you can do anything. If it’s head in parking, simply lay it out. If it’s angled parking, remember to check “true width”.

4) To answer your other question…no. There aren’t any “standard” things going on here. The design of this particular parking lot will dictate if the striping is head in or angled. Here’s what I would like to know. Where do they pull in from? How do they exit? How much room do they need to turn? Tru Trac, you and I aren’t truck drivers. Someone needs to tell us this stuff. I’m sure the owner will be more than happy to help. Go 12′ feet wide and 60′ long. And, if they end up needing to be angled, make sure you hold the true width at 12′.

5) Last resort. Go across the street and measure some of the striping at the competing truck stop. It may give some insight and/or confidence.

6) If I’ve said anything that’s confusing please write back. I’ll check here every day.

Dan Z. – American Striping

Thank you for the information. This is just a dirt lot now. There are no plans at all. I plan on going to other truck stops and checking them out and then do a walk around with the owner to make sure it is what he wants before any paint goes down.

Thanks again
    Al

Tru Trak
    Excellent. Sounds like a great plan. I’m still interested too. Keep in touch as all this unfolds.
    Dan Z.
    American Striping Co.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.