facebookpixel

Too Cold

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

How do you get your paint to dry faster when the weather is 50 degrees. We paint alot in the middle of the night, but as it turns to fall, when the sun is down, it takes forever to dry… I am using latex paint.

Hello cjmatoon
    Try this in stages…
    First…switch to a “Fast Dry” Latex.
    Sherwin Williams calls theirs “Set Fast”.
    PPG…I believe is just called “Fast Dry”. I have a Video on my site that explains the difference.
    Next…if you’re still experiencing dry times that are too long…switch again…
    …to…Alkyd. Glidden sells Alkyd based Paint. THe cutting agent is Mineral Spirits. Mineral Spirits cost about 6.00 per gallon…( keep that in mind…)
    I love Alkyd. It shoots like cream. BUT…you cannot throw the waste away…like water…because of the cutting agent. BUT…?…that’s life.
    As a last resort…try Acetone. Acetone will separate like Vinegar and Oil in ONE day. So…don’t try to buy 60 gallons and shoot it all. Buy what you need and buy more tomorrow…OR…carry a mixer of some sort…= pain in the butt.
    NEXT…the cutting agent here is MEK…or… Acetone…or…other big words…= 15.00 per gallon…NOW…we’re really talking a pain in the rear.
    So…MY preference is this…
    1) Latex as long as I can. Cutting agent = water.
    2) Fast Dry Latex…cutting agent is water. CHEAP and EASY WATER!
    3) Alkyd…and buy some Mineral Spirits. “Paint Thinner” is the same thing.
    4) There is no (4). I’ve never gotten to Acetone. (AND…I hear the first time you use it…the Acetone in the paint itself will dissolve the “old” deposits in the gun and probably give you “clog fits”.
    How’s that?
    Did I help?
    Dan

Anonymous
    Inactive

By cutting agents, do you mean you can add the cutting agent to the paint to make it dry faster? If so, how much do you add? (I have read elsewhere that many people do this.) Or do you mean more of a cleaning agent? This helps tons! We are in rural Montana and don’t have any paint supply stores within 100 miles. Fortunately, we do have a Sherwin Williams about 130 miles away! Thanks again for your help.

Hey cjmatoon
    …more of a cleaning agent.
    I don’t have time to add anything to my paint. I just pour it in and go.
    I only added the “cutting agent” info…so you would know the costs involved.
    Try Fast Dry. See if it helps. If not…try Alkyd. I’m sure the Alkyd will do the trick. I used it for 15 years. It always dried…quickly.
    Have you been online to search for other MFG’s?
    Next…be careful if you do. Always…always…ask …”What is the cutting agent?” And…then find out how much that costs.
    If it’s Toluene… = 15.00 per gallon…! MEK…?…
    Mineral Spirits is the cheapest and easiest to find. And…Mineral Spirits cuts Alkyd…just fine.
    How’s that?
    Dan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great! Will try. Thanks for your help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.