facebookpixel

Sealcoating Ratio Ronfusion

Home Forums Sealcoating Materials Sealcoating Ratio Ronfusion

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello

I am trying to assess the quality of the quotes I have received for a sealing project here in South East Wisconsin. While looking at the quotes I noticed as the quantity of sand increases, so does the latex additive. I asked a few of the contractors what this means and was given some varying answers.

One contractor told me that the amount of latex added is dictated by the manufacturer of the sealant.

Two contractors told me that the mix ratio is determined by the experience of the contractor. They both said the more sand in the mix , the more latex is needed to suspend it. That comes with more water being added to the mix to thin it enough to spray it. This leaves a thick coat initially that evaporates off and leaves a coat that is too thin. They both recommended a coat that is 2-3 pounds of sand per gallon, and a 2% latex mix.

Three other contractors told me the more latex the better. Latex additive is expensive and other contractors use less to save money. Those contractors are mixing their sealant with 4-6 pounds of sand per gallon and a 4% latex add. They informed me that I would see sand “break off” and pool in areas, but the more sand the better the slip resistance.

I cannot find any information on recommended mix ratios, or manufactures of sealants that I can talk to and ask about their products. I would appreciate a little help in sorting through this information.

Trevor Sepstead

Trevor,

I think all manufacturers now have websites you can visit to check out mix designs. You can find our mix suggestions at gemsealinc.net. Most producers will recommend standards that are within the ranges you listed in your message. The mix designs you mentioned are good but you may want to include applicatin rates in your specifications. Is the contractor going to apply one coat or two, or a third coat in the drive areas, and at what application rate on each of the coats? Remember, two thin coats are better than one thick coat and the more time you can give between coats the better your coating will perform. Also, you may want to ask to see some of their jobs that are a year old and actually go and check these jobs out.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.