facebookpixel

Restriping Paint ?

Home Forums Pavement Striping Materials Restriping Paint ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

About 350′ of stripe per gallon of paint is a recommendation for new paint, but how about re-stripe, should I expect more feet per gallon? It seems to me if paint is too thick it will flake off, I see it in the parking lots at the malls, thick paint with chips missing.

Hey Stripe Guy
    I think technically the answer is Yes…but…be careful with that.
    I don’t worry too much about mil thickness. I “put it down” = spray paint…as if it were mine…because it is.
    I don’t think that flaking is a result of too thick either. It sounds like bad paint…bad adhesion…cool weather…etc.
    I’ve never had flaking.
    Next…350′ is only the result of one part of the formula…and…it[‘s a guide. What were looking for…again…is coverage. If the lot is rough…you’ll need to go slower…or…increase the pressure…or…use a tip with a bigger orifice…or…a combination of the aforementioned.
    I tend to walk slower…or ride slower. I may get 325′. That said…on a newer lot…that has just had (2) coats of Sealer…I’ll get more. AND…in accordance with your question…I may get different footages from one Re-stripe to another.
    Next…after the job…maybe I’ll figure out my paint usage. My Graco 3900 has the dashboard that will keep track of all that.
    What I really want to know is if I’ve given my client a little more than they’ve paid for. So…if and when I check my quantities…as long as I’m close…and as long as I’m happy with the coverage…I’m good to go.
    Next…for bidding purposes I do figure at the 350′ mark.
    ( You should see how much I put down when the road has been milled off and the striping is only temporary…! )
    Stripe Guy…50’…here or there isn’t going to make you or break you either. AND…I’ll bet the flaking was a result of a mistake or a risk gone bad. So…trust yourself. Take a look at the stripe you’re putting down. Are you please with it? AND…at the end of a few jobs…are you in the neighborhood of 350′ per gallon…consistently? If so…you’re doing fine.
    How’s all that?
    Dan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.