facebookpixel

Quoting a line job.

Home Forums Pavement Striping Equipment Quoting a line job.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,
    When quoting a job do I give a total breakdown of costs,eg. price per linear foot, price per handicapped space, price per turn arrow etc.
    Or should I list the line painting work to be done with a blanket cost at the bottom of the quote?
    If anyone would like to send me a blacked out example quote my email is steveantczak@haomail.com.

Thanks,
    Steve.

Hello Steve
    How are you?
    I have a style that seems to work well.
    I have a “Template” saved. It has my style…my company’s info and certainly the contact information at the top.
    In the body portion I have a statement…
    We Propose To Furnish All Material And Labor To Perform The Following Items Of Work:
    Then, under that…I simply say what I’m going to do.
    ( I’ll list that in a moment. )
    BUT…I DO NOT give my itemized pricing. I bid…”Lump Sum” style.
    I have a couple reasons for that:
    1) If anyone needs a second quote…THAT striper must, at least, go look at the job himself or herself…( instead of simply being read MY work over the phone. )
    2) It may only be my opinion…but…if my customer sees this…
    1000′ of 4″ line at .14 per foot.
    8 Directional Arrows @ 18.00 each.
    2 H/C stencils @ 25.00 each.
    …etc…
    Then…maybe…that causes that person to think…”are those good prices”?
    …or…if it’s a smaller job…the price per foot may look too high…etc.
    Here’s how I bid…
    ( After the above statement of “We Propose…” )
    Re-Stripe To The Existing Layout And Pattern
    Includes: Paint; Sherwin Williams Traffic White / Yellow / Blue.
    All Existing Stall Lines.
    All Existing Directional Arrows.
    All Existing H/C Stencils.
    Cost…$410.00
    Then, Steve, under that, I add…
    Notes:
    All work to be performed after hours, (1) trip.
    All Existing H/C Stencils will be converted to the “Blue Block” design.
    …or…
    All work to be performed Saturday 1/1/1. All lots to be closed and empty of all traffic.
    …or…
    All lines to be straight, parallel and of the same length.
    …or…
    My Striping Company. Fine Lines since 1998.
    …or…
    If you have any questions, please call Steve @ 123.4567.
    …Steve, one more thing…
    Under the “Cost…$410.00
    …you may add…
    OPTION (A) Re-Paint Existing Yellow Curb along (6) noted No Parking Areas.
    ADD…$190.00.
    ( Steve, note that this DOES NOT mean you’ll paint the curb for $190.00. It ONLY means you’ll paint the curb…IF…IF…you get the entire job. ) ( Your “Minimum Trip” Charge may be 250.00…! )
    Then, Steve…below that…I ask for the deal…
    Please sign and return via fax or email to the above number / address. Thank you.
    How’s that?…so far…?
    Next…
    There are only (3) jobs…here are my “Titles” for the other two:
    Re-Stripe To The Existing Layout And Pattern Over Seal
    …and…
    Layout and Stripe To Customer Specifications
    Steve, that’s it…EVERY job will fall under one of those titles…and then, under whichever of those appropriate titles begins the …
    “Includes”…statement.
    Does that make sense?
    Last…RECAP…no…I do not give my itemized pricing.
    1) Other stripers can easily beat you…without effort.
    2) Those prices may differ from one “closer” location…to a far location…vs. job difficulty…etc.
    3) The customer may legitimately / benignly be “curious”…too curious…and / or, make an honest mis-judgement.
    I bid “Lump Sum” style.
    ( I’m hoping my style, Steve, is just plain old simple and safe. )
    OK…how’s that?
    I’m going to post this and read it too.
    I hope it makes sense.
    Let me know.
    Dan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for the informative reply.
    What you are saying makes sense. I can see a property manager trying to save time on their end by giving out the job breakdown over the phone for two more quotes.
    We don’t have a Pavement Expo up here, but we do have a Property Manager Expo in November that I was not aware of till recently. Its big (24 000 people lol.) by Canadian standards. There were some big(Canadian Standards) grounds keeping companies there, but I only noticed one pavement/striping company with a booth there. This is something I plan on trying this November to make contacts and drum up business.

Until then Dan, what do you recommend is the most efficient way for me to get the opportunity to quote jobs for this coming year?

Should I focus on paving companies, property management companies, franchise’s, big box stores?

I have been snowplowing for a mid-sized property management company for the last 5 years. Last year I was asked to do a good sized strip mall (by Canadian standards). The job went well. While doing it, a local restaurant owner asked me to quote his property. I got that job too. I know that this is probably not the norm.
    I look forward to hearing back from you.
    Thanks again Dan.
    Steve.

Hey Steve…thanks for all that.
    And…this is a blast for me. I love answering posts. Sometimes though, I think I talk too much. ( Never know. )
    First…Door to Door…on jobs you want. And / or…on a job you think you can handle.
    I know that sounds slow in today’s world…but…you said…”This is probably not the norm”…Steve…yes it is.
    That’s how it happens. Someone almost always sees me striping a Store on a Sunday…or a Bank…and stops and asks for a card…or…if this is my company? I always reply…”Yes, it’s my empire. I own it all”. That makes ’em smile…I’ve got the job. SO…yes…get the job and you’ll get more.
    Next…BY CANADIAN STANDARDS…!!! 21,000 people…! I’m there…! Take your equipment. Take your stencils. Take business cards. DO NOT fall for the act that you need a super special, super expensive backdrop with NEON for your booth. Just go. Be yourself. You’ll do well. Let’s keep in touch on that too.
    Next…if you go for a pavement company …just note…there are “ups and downs”.
    1) You must trust them as a buddy. If they do not get paid…THEY STILL OWE YOU. None of this…”Hey Steve, we’ll pay you the minute we get paid”. NO YOU WON’T. You’ll pay me at 29 days whether you get paid or not.
    2) They will now own your schedule…which is very fair. If they give you all their work…they’re out there telling their clients…we’ll pave AND stripe Thursday and Thursday PM. Your job Steve, is to say…I’ll be there.
    Next…if you ONLY have “Retail” clients…such as the Property Managers you spoke of…then you can say…”Thank you for the job. I’ll check the weather. I’ll start in a couple days. You’ll see the work progress as you come to work in the AM. I should have it all complete in the next few evenings.” That way, Steve…at least you can schedule dinner with the wife or kids…or watch a great game on TV. AND…if the work is interrupted with rain…it’s ok. Go the next evening.
    Last…most of us have a nice mix of both. Maybe, find the correct Paving Company or Seal Coat Company to “follow”. And…also solicit those Managers you mentioned. Here’s how it’ll work;
    If you tell the Strip Mall Manager…”Let me have a few days…I’ll get it all done. You’ll see.” AND THEN…your Seal Coat Company calls and says…”Hey we just got two Banks to Seal on the weekend.” Well, you’re probably not going to stripe a Strip Mall on a weekend. But…if they want to Seal half Monday and then you stripe that PM…then you can either go to the Strip Mall right after or just move it to another night. Does that make sense?
    …at least with the Property Managers you can move them around a little.
    Last…the rest…or the mix…or the work load is entirely up to you. There are guys like me that limit my work. There are guys like a friend of mine who takes it all and hires others to stripe that job.
    Bottom line…Recap…
    1) Yes, door to door. And, others will see you working. You’ll grow.
    2) Those Canadian “Standards” are the same here. We have plenty of Strip Malls that have (3) stores…(4) stores. I’d take them! Those are great jobs. In and out…several hundred dollars…go home.
    3) “Commercial” vs. “Retail” accounts…? You decide. If you’re already working a job with benefits…maybe only choose jobs you…YOU…can schedule. If you’re looking for Full Time employment as a striper…keep your eyes open for a Paver or Seal Coater.
    I hope that helps. I hope it offers some type of idea into the “Ups and Downs”…or “Benefits” of both types of clients.
    Dan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.