facebookpixel

Paving roller weight

Home Forums Paving Materials & Technique Forum Paving roller weight

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Should it be possible to properly install 3″ thick asphalt paving (in two lifts) with a static roller weighing only 2,500 kg and be able to obtain a minimum of 92% compaction density over a reinforced concrete parking deck?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m trying to find out if a 2,500 kg roller would be sufficient to obtain 92% compaction of asphalt paving.
    And if so, is there any special technique or methods that the installer can do to achieve the spec’d compaction if he’s not doing so already?

admin
    Keymaster

Hawaii – I don’t know the answer to this question. I’m going to see if I can find out for you.

Hawaii
    …so will I. I’m meeting with a large paving company this AM…(EDT, I’m in Ohio).
    I’ll ask the question to them.
    Dan
    P.S. Just to confirm…2500 kg is equal to 5500 pounds? So… 2.75 ton roller?
    I’ll be back in a few hours…EDT time.

admin
    Keymaster

Hawaii –

I spoke with Gerry Signs of Asphalt Enterprises in Atlanta. This was his comment:

“I think that the compaction density is achievable with that weight of a roller, installing the asphalt in 2 lifts, ONLY if the asphalt is placed in optimal weather conditions, the hotter the better.”

Hope this helps. We’ll see what Dan comes up with too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thx guys for the input. What I’m also finding from other sources is that the roller size/wight should be fine to do the job.

But interestingly enough, the installer feels that because the paving is being installed on a hot-rubber waterproofing membrane over a suspended (bldg. roof deck) concrete slab, these two factors limit his ability to achieve proper compaction (claiming that because there is some “give” in the membrane and “bounce” in the slab, this prevents higher compaction).
    They would seem to be insignificant effects to me, but would like to hear if others have any thoughts or experience for such an installation?

With regard to Admin’s comment for getting the pavement temp at optimal conditions, as this is winter and even though we are in Hawaii (currently 75 – 80 deg.) days, is this new technology for “warm-mix asphalt” something to consider?

Hawaii
    I just got back. I’ve followed a large paving crew for 17 years. I stripe for them. They have multiple crews…millions in machinery…etc. We’ve done too many Malls, Parks, Streets…etc…to remember. Anyhow…they’re qualified.
    Here’s what I’ve learned:
    1) The owner of the company said…”92%? That’s not much. He should be fine. If it’s a Vibratory Roller…he’ll definitely be fine”.
    2) Two of his engineers were also there. One replied; “I agree. 92% isn’t hard to achieve”.
    3) BUT…they both said…”He won’t be able to get too much production, though”.
    Hawaii…this is what I think they meant…you can’t put too much asphalt down…and by that I mean a lift…and then try to roll it. In other words…put a little down…roll it…get your compaction and then move along.
    I think their concern was this…don’t allow the paving crew to start pulling away from the Roller. Asphalt may start to set up before he’s finished getting compaction…and then there may be troubles.
    I hope that helps. It sounds like what the other Post was getting at when he replied…”The hotter the weather…the better”. In other words…the asphalt won’t cool too fast…and that would allow the smaller Roller to keep up.
    Bottom line…You should be fine…if you can take your time.
    But if production demands a certain amount of tonnage be applied per day…Hawaii…I’ll let that decision up to you.
    Next…have you considered renting a Roller? Rent a 5-7 Ton. Or…an 8-10. Have it delivered. Then your two Roller Operators can work together. One compacts…the other Finishes.
    Hawaii, I hope I helped. Let me know.
    AND…then they all asked…with smiles…”you gonna Sub the job to me?”
    I told them it was in HI. Remember…we’re in OH. We have a few inches of Snow on the ground.
    See ya.
    Dan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brilliant Dan. Your info will be very helpful.
    Fortunately and unfortunately, this isn’t a large project (only 30,000 sf parking deck). So I think we gonna look closely at your methodology recommendations for rolling as quickly as can upon placement and only concentrating on smaller areas for that size roller.
    Being a roof top parking deck limits us on the weight of the roller that can be used, but it seems like the 3-ton roller should still be able to do the job if we can maintain the temp. And having that roller with the spreader at the same time limits us bringing another 3-ton roller up there.

I feel for you guys up in the snow there especially after seeing that Minnasota stadium roof fail with the snow pouring in. But we do get our share of snow here believe it or not abiet it’s at the top of the volcano.

VIDEO: Snow covers Mauna Kea on Hawaii Island

Hey Hawaii
    I never thought I’d text “OMG”…but that’s a great video link.
    Thanks.
    Good luck on the job. Take your time.
    Keep in touch.
    Dan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.