facebookpixel

marking existing stripes before sealcoating.

Home Forums Pavement Striping Materials marking existing stripes before sealcoating.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What is the most cost effective way to mark existing stripes before seal coating so that the stripes can be easily located after seal coating with out having to do a total re layout

Hello Gator
    The quick answer is that you don’t. You can still see the lines…even after (2) coats of seal is applied…on almost every job.
    Gator…it’s hard NOT to see them.
    That said…I always did try to see the lot before it was seal coated. Sometimes…and in (16) years…I can only remember…well…I can’t remember a time when I couldn’t find the lines.
    Next…the seal coat companies I followed know how to help. They would say…”Hey Dan, you may want to look at this one before we cover it up. There’s a few lines that seem “double” and multiple colors.”
    Gator, that’s a good crew.
    Next…if you cannot see the old lines…because maybe they were very worn…or it’s kinda dark…
    a) Start looking where a lines should be.
    b) Look in the grass for H/C signs too.
    c) Look at the “top” of the stall. Most of the time…if a line is so worn…the top 2′ remains, simply because it sees less traffic.
    d) Walk around in circles. Catch the Sun light right and the line can be seen. (When it’s between you and the Sun.)
    And…even when I had some trouble finding some lines…at first…when I did find one…I almost immediately found the rest.
    And…remember…on 99% of all jobs…it’s hard NOT to see them.
    Last…a horror story…do not use “Roofing Caps” or something like this to “install into the ground. A competitor…no really…it was my competitor…who did this…on a really large lot. This well know, large Insurance giant then called me the next time…told me not to do it…because the snow plow…months later…plowed them all up…and many…MANY…people experienced flat tires.
    Gator…take a look at the lot…make a diagram…if you want…and you’ll see. When you get to the job…you can still see the lines.
    I hope this helps.
    Let me know.
    Dan

Anonymous
    Inactive

so i got one for you when you come to a lot just sealcoated do you lay out the hole parking lot or go off the other peoples lines?

Hello Bryan
    If the bid was to “Re-stripe to Existing Layout and Pattern”…the answer isssssssssssss………kinda.
    I always snap all lines when I’m Re-striping over fresh seal. Yes…I can still see the old lines. They’re hard not to see.
    But…I mark the tail ends = all the same length…and…I snap all lines = mine are now the straight ones.
    So…I do not have to Layout. And…I make the job better in a few ways…
    1) Lots of new paint.
    2) I make sure all the new lines are the same length.
    3) I make sure all the lines are now straight.
    That said…if there’s a total blunder…I’d fix it. Talk about it first…you’ll have that opportunity.
    Over seal is a great place for new stripers or semi-experienced stripers to move into.
    Here’s why…if you forget to let go of the trigger…you can just Seal Coat out the mistake.
    I’ve written about this and more in my book. Go to my site. You can see the Table of Contents. Click the link that says “Read some of my book”…
    Did I help?
    Keep in touch.
    Dan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.