facebookpixel

How to choose a sealcoating sealant?

Home Forums Sealcoating Materials How to choose a sealcoating sealant?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe there is a considerable confusion about materials and suitability; coal tar emulsion, asphalt emulsion or asphalt cut-back or solvent based products.
    If someone could outline the differences/similarities of each type that would be helpful.
    Of course I anticipate coal tar to be championed, but it isn’t readily available in all areas for a variety of reasons.

admin
    Keymaster

Rob – That is so true! I hope that Harry Carter from Gem Seal will pop in and say a few words about this, but in the meantime I wanted to let you know that we are currently working on a pavement sealer guide that should help explain the differences and suitability for the different types of sealers. I’m very excited about being able to post that sometime in the next few weeks. — fingers crossed. Thanks for your participation!
    Brett

At this point in time I don’t think there is any doubt that coal tar is the most durable of the materials mentioned. Coal tar coatings are more fuel resistant and oxidize less rapidly than AE coatings and asphalt type rejuvinators. Asphalt actually oxidizes pretty rapidly and since probably 60% or more of the coatings applied are applied to turn the pavement black again then the “graying” (oxidation) of the AE type coatings can be a problem.

As you stated, there are areas where CT sealer is not available. If you are in one of these areas then you must use AE sealer. From my personal observation not all AE coatings are equal. You must do your homework and fine the best sealer available for your use, whether it’s AE or CT coatings.

All manufacturs are constantly working to improve their coatings so it is just a matter of time before someone developes a durable long lasting fuel resistant asphalt sealer.

admin
    Keymaster

As a side note — We have been conducting a poll on our Sealer Calculator page for the last year or so to find out what the ratio is of contractors who prefer coal tar vs. Asphalt Emulsion. The findings have been consistent throughout the poll. 68% of 386 contractors sampled in 41 states prefer Coal Tar. AE had an advantage in the poll since some states only have asphalt emulsion available… never-the-less Coal Tar still came out way ahead.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m currently using Steel Coat by JB industrial inc. Just wondering if anybody else is using this product and how they find the durablity.

I have not heard of this product. Where is it manufactured and is it an asphalt base or coal tar?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The product is a coal tar, and its manufactured in Billings, Montana. We are a calgary, alberta, canada based company. This is the best product we can find up this way.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is important to know that asphalt driveways need to be sealed every one to three years to protect against the elements. Sealing your driveway will not only make it last longer, it will also make it look better. Sealing will help protect your driveway from the harsh elements. Seal coating will help keep the extreme cold, water and ice from getting into your pavement which will lead to crumbling and cracking. You can do seal coating yourself or hire a professional.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would like to offer another point of view considering that the moderator of this forum is primarily a manufacturer of coal tar based sealer I am quite sure that he will gravitate towards recommending his product.

I manufacture an asphalt based product and all I can say is that the contractors that have tried it never go back to coal tar. We don’t use coal tar pitch so there is none of the skin burning or fumes that you get with the coal tar based sealers. We also add the aggregate (a specially processed stone product) during that manufacturing process so that you don’t have to incur the trouble or expense.

The high solid content holds up as well as coal tars but is cheaper and easier to use.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by April Ulpindo. Reason: website not working
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I use Neyra Industries coal tar. I have used Sealmaster and Amguard in the past and Neyra’s I feel is by far the superior product.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@AIM Services – paving contractors. wrote:

I’m currently using Steel Coat by JB industrial inc. Just wondering if anybody else is using this product and how they find the durablity.

I use this product in Bozeman, Mt as well. They make a good asphalt emulsion sealer and last year they didn’t even make coal tar. I don’t think many people are using coal tar around here because it is so nasty to work with and from the jobs I have seen that did use coal tar, most are peeling really bad. It could be that they were too thick or just that the coal tar doesn’t expand/contract the same as the asphalt.
    I like the emulsion. Two coats for a good product that will last.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.