facebookpixel

How can I compete???? my competition hires illegals

Home Forums Business Side of Pavement Maintenance How can I compete???? my competition hires illegals

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Just recently bid a job for a public entity. Needless to say I did not get it but what riles me is the fact the company that did…. hires illegals. I know this for a fact as I know one of the guys on the crew and he told me that they get cheap mexican labor……no comp…..or taxes…..and if the guys get hurt they take them to a walk in clinic……………HOW CAN I COMPETE WITH THAT…………so I hear some saying maybe my bid was too high……not so……after the job was awarded the bids were made public………myself and the other 5 contractors were neck and neck…..but this guy beat us on the labor………..Any Advice..????? sorry my first post

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don’t be stupid, with a question like this, if you said the winning bids were made public. Just ask to the winner. For a public works everybody need their paper in good working order, but you’re right they don’t ask about your workers. Remember paving are your business, is not a employes agency.If other people hired cheap Mexican Labor ( Exelent I do too) Why you don’t do it the same way. Many, many people think like you about this. If they are here for work give them work save some money and fill your bank account thanks to the MEXI-CAN :coolmad:

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is a sorry state of affairs when a post like mine gets one response. It is even worse when the reply comes from someone who advocates hiring illegals. I want to make a “decent” living.
    I do not want to do it by cheating,lying or stealing. In essence that is what the reply says.

Me and my guys work hard and deserve an “equal oppurtunity” We do NOT deserve to be victimised by greed merchants who play dirty tricks to line their pockets. Whatever happened to honour. It saddens me to think our great country has been reduced to using criminals as cheap labor. It is going to be 104degrees today. But me and my guys will be spraying,paying our taxes and going home hot,tired and thirsty…………..with our heads held high.

Please lets only hire those who are here legally. “My honour is NOT tied to my bank account” Any advice,support, GOD BLESS AMERICA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Days ago you was crying because you loose a bid. Let me tell you something when people bid for a work, everybody is thinking how make more money possible. You was thinking the same manner and you went too high. There is no standsrs for this business. I konw my strategy, you know yours to win. In this case you lost it for the simple reason you went high greedy bad idea and don’t try to find guilty because there is no guilty. The mexican i don’t think so. Now honour I don’t know what you talking about when you don’t know this word you are frustrated because you lost a several thousands.
    Remember what I said I hire cheap mexican labor I never said I hire illegals. :coolmad:

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are always going to be unjust situations in the bidding process. Do not focus all of your energy on who makes up your competitors work force. If a competitor is breaking the rules, soon or later the system will catch up with him.

You said that your labor number is what lost the bid for you. Review your labor component and make sure that you all of your assumptions are correct. Are you carrying more labor than you need? These are tough economic times you are working in. You have to operate as lean and mean as possible.

Lets assume that your labor is where it should be. You sound like what I refer to as a front door contractor. You run your business like a professional. You need to evaluate other areas of your business that will allow you to compete against contractors who are under cutting your bids. Review all of your overhead and costs on a regular basis.

You may not be able to lower your labor but you may be able to eliminate other cost in your operation that allow you to be more competitive.

I feel your frustration! Spend your time managing your operation, praticing cost side management, and selling the intangibles that make your company shine in the market place. In the long run you will win the pricing war

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the advice……guess I have some tough choices to make.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Botton line fellow entrepreneurs, is that we must not give seal coat a bad name. We must protect the bloodline of our business…go back to the basics.

You sound like a man that takes pride in your business, so ask yourself why a company or other entity should do business with your company….and then sell them on that fact or facts. Don’t stup to the cheap labor and risk your workmanship. At the end all we have is our word and our outstanding quality workmanship. You might consider a new customer as well, but please don’t get discuraged, I assure you work will come your way.

Sincerely,

Montalvo Contracting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.