facebookpixel

heat

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Can it really get to hot to stripe?

Hey Bryan
    …nope…not for me.
    Now…that said…ask those people in AZ. Some work midnight shifts because of the 105 degree heat. BUT…I think that’s because of Human Safety”…not “paint stuff”.
    AND…you’ll be asked…”when is it too cold to paint?”.
    ANSWER…?…when my flesh sticks to the metal bars…!
    How’s that?
    Again…unless there’s some special circumstance…nope.
    Dan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well the only reason i asked that is because i was striping last weak during the day (we normally do all are striping during the night) and it was about 102 degrees outside on new seal and the paint started bubbling like it was cooking.

Bryan
    …just to be sure…
    I’m sure you’re using Latex paint.
    Next…I’ve had paint blister…but only under crazy circumstances…
    …like…I was on the seal too soon.
    But…that was only in a few places. I never slowed down. The lot was to be opened at 7AM the next morning. AND…all was well.
    That said…there are weird things that happen…here’s one…
    …a fellow striper sprayed an arrow…onto a freshly coated lot.
    The next day…he received a call…asking “WHY?”
    He went to the job…the arrow was 10′ away…in the middle of the drive lane…NOT at the beginning where he sprayed it…and it was turned almost 180 degrees. It was pointing kinda off to the side…weird.
    I just laughed. It was like it was peeled up…floated away…spun…and landed…and then STUCK!
    …we may never know……
    My answer…?…sometimes molecules collide. That’s when we just chuckle.
    How’s the lot now?
    How bad was the “bubbling”?
    Bottom line…I don’t quite know beyond that. AND…it just may be those surrounding circumstances.
    That said…has it happened before?
    Dan

Anonymous
    Inactive

I actually use acetone based paint. I think my problem may have been that my paint got to hot because i had it sitting in the back of my truck. But I am not sure because i have been doing a lot of my striping at night again.

Bryan
    …that’s it. You must use Latex over new seal. It’s that simple.
    So…no…I’m thinking it wasn’t the heat. It was the Acetone over new seal. Yes…it will react.
    How does the job look now? Do you have to Re-stripe it?
    Next…I’ve heard a couple complaints…on the Acetone.
    1) When people first put the paint into a used machine…the Acetone…that’s IN the Acetone based paint…will dissolve the old paint flakes inside a used machine…( I know…I know…we all clean our machines…BUT STILL…! ) …then…those little flakes cause clog after clog after clog…for about 2 weeks…then it’s all ok.
    Next…the Acetone paint separates like Vinegar and Oil. I was told by 2 striper that it only takes one day to completely separate. AND…they couldn’t keep up with the Re-mixing in their truck.
    But…I subbed a job to another striper who used Acetone. It shot beautifully and dried…right now! AND…there is NO pick up.
    Last…if I lived in a hot climate…( we have Winter here )…I would NEVER use ANYTHING else BUT…LATEX.
    I have a video on my site talking about Outdoor Striping Paint…and what I use…and most importantly…why I use it.
    Let me know if you need a discount!
    Dan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry i haven’t replied back sooner i have been swamped with work but i have been striping for 5 years the first 3 years we used chlorinated rubber on new and not sealed lots but latex on new sealed lots. The reason we don’t use chlorinated rubber on new seal is because of color changing, your yellow will turn brown and your white will turn green. Latex don’t last long enough because we have bad winters and the snow plows scrape them right off. Two years ago Sherwin Williams sold me on acetone because it could go on new seal and last a long time (well a full season), we just got tired of changing from water to toluene so we found an all in one paint. I love acetone with how fast it drys, it don’t track and great in cold weather. With how fast acetone evaporates it makes it easy to dispose of. With latex I could only do 2 or 3 handicaps or arrows before it started to build up and drip. With acetone I can do about 12 to 13 handicaps in a row and about 16 arrows before it builds up to bad. It separates but not that bad all you need is a good cordless drill and paint stirrer. The job that bubbled has been alright so far I’m just waiting to see what the snow plows do to it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.