facebookpixel

Edging Techniques… What’s Best?

Home Forums Sealcoating Equipment Forum Edging Techniques… What’s Best?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am brand new to the business,and was wondering what is the best system for edgeing?Do you use some kind of a board or plastic to protect the grass and garage,and what ever else you don`t want sealer sprayed on?I realize that you cut in with the brush,but the sealer still seams to get on things.Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

ck out this video on u tube this is how we do it
    http://www.youtube.com/dandgsealcoating hope it helps

I think that you need to clear up wether we’re talking brush or spray first, as there are different methods for both. For brush: I use 8″ Scrub type brushes, (available at Aubuchon) for the “fine” work, and the regular 36″ broom for the edging in a driveway. I agree that it is probably the most difficult thing to get the feel for with sealcoating. Best advice—Take your time, till you learn. It gets easier from there and faster will follow naturally !

Anonymous
    Inactive

Spray,and thanks for your reply.

I have found that styrofoam insulation board works very well for edging. The pieces are 2′ X 4′ by 3/8 thick. Light and manuverable, plus they don”t cost much. They call it “fanfold” and it’s available most places that sell home siding.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks a lot for the info,I will try it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Most of our work is spray work, so we always use blocker boards. The one that we use in the video is a piece of fiberglass from an old sign – about 6’x3.5′. If we don’t use that, we use the ABLE aluminum shield which works quite well in the right situations. In the corners and hard to reach areas, we go back and touch up with a brush. As you can see from the above videos, using the shield is very efficient timewise, especially when doing long runs such as a roadway and works better for us because it takes more time to brush sealer in by hand. Also, it looks better and blends in when the edges are sprayed and you spray from the middle to the edge. That is our 2 cents!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the info.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It would be best for you to use an 18″ brush with a squeegee. This tool runs for around $15 and is sold thru McMaster Carr part number 7414T14. When edging along concrete it is always best to ‘pull’ the tar towards you rather than ‘push’.

Schwarze Industries
    Participant

Most of our cutting in is done with a skid I made. It will cut in as fast as you can walk and your pump will supply material. Goes around curves, gutters, and curbs and NEVER get a drop on anything.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well i have over 14 years of ex. I go to a hardware store and get a thin sheet of masnighte <(Misspelled) size 4 x what ever hight feels good to you i also like a short spray wand that way i can hold my own trim board " back to the board i like to round the edges that will slid on the ground this will make it slid better and won't grip so much and in the middle i like a to take a quater round and with dry wall screw make a grip make sure u only use one side or u will make a mess good luck this way is cheap, flexable ,and if the drive has a bush just slid it under the branches and lift up and spray away if you have it clean.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.