facebookpixel

easy money or not?

Home Forums Pavement Striping Equipment easy money or not?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

hey Dan,

did a stripe job this morning, got started around 6:00am and finished around 2:00pm.
    what my concern or question is, a guy came from across the road and he was wondering
    if i could repaint his handicap signs and a few arrows. i went over and checked it out, and
    he has done the parking space lines himself with an upside down spray can….. if you know
    what i mean. but he had no way of doing the handicap signs or the arrows.
    and he had the blue block with the white handicap symbol, and yellow arrows.
    Dude, we did it, but i feel like i didnt make any money, because, since i only have one machine,
    it takes me about 15 to 20 minuites to cange colors. And it took longer than i expected.
    my questions is……
    What is a good price for doing handicap (two colors) and arrows in this situation. I know what i’ve
    got in the job (paint and time), i Kept up with my time, so if that happens again then I think
    i might be ready.
    i know the market in your area may be different than mine, but im just wondering whats your
    take on this situation?

thanks for the help dude!!

Brad

Piedmont Seal & Stripe

Hello Brad
    First…we all go through just what you went through. You didn’t do anything wrong. You probably helped out of a sense of kindness. No big deal.
    Here are my options:
    1) I can always give my Minimum Price.
    2) It must be a cash deal. AND…if my gut even suspects that there’s no cash in his pocket…I can’t do the job.
    3) I have to have EVERYTHING I need to do this right now and once.
    4) Clear the lot…or at least what I need to do.
    If anything varies…it’s really up to you. If you have a card party to make …and you promised your wife you’d mow the lawn… if your kid is starting on the varsity game for the first time…etc…or…or…if the first job had a low profit margin and we’re 25 miles from home…this little job may really help. You decide.
    Next…here are a few tips to save time…if you decide to get the job:
    If there are HC… ( it sounds like a small lot…maybe 2 HC…? )…can you simple lay yours on top…trace around it with chalk…slide your HC aside…hand roll the Blue…let it dry…slide your HC back on top and spray?…WHILE…your helper uses masking tape to tape off the arrows and hand rolls them…or sprays them…? OR…while the Blue dries…or is being hand rolled…you use a strip if plastic…like from a scrap stencil…to act as the tape…on the arrows. ( Really though, I can tape off and spray an arrow in less than 60 seconds…and so can you…) I always have a roll of tape, 1.5″ wide hanging on the machine.
    RECAP…whatever color is in my machine…that’s where I start. Yellow…?…then I’ll tape and spray the yellow arrows while my help hand rolls the Blue. OR…if I have White in the machine…I’ll start the Blues and he can start taping all the arrows.
    Next…I have a couple more things to say…hope you’re not bored…
    I go the the paint store and buy a 5 gallon bucket of white. I have them pop the little cork on top and add 14 to 20 ounces of blue. Shake it. Next…I also buy a new empty bucket and a 9″ roller handle with a roller pad. (Dollar Stores sell these too. )
    I then pour 2 gallons of the fresh, new blue into the new empty bucket. I dip the roller into it and LEAVE IT THERE. Snap the lid on. THAT bucket is my “BLUE BLOCK” bucket. Why?…because it’ll pick up debris…like pebbles and sand. Now…I cannot spray from that bucket. IF…IF…I ever need to spray blue…I use the fresh clean blue bucket. Does that make sense?
    And…after 20 Blue Blocks…I simply pour in a couple more gallons from the fresh blue to replenish the “dirty” blue. Does that make sense?
    And…store the roller in the bucket. It may last you all season.
    OK…now I’m rambling.
    Brad…I hope I helped. And…do not be afraid of not getting the job…because you bid fair. If I’m not going to make anything…I may as well go home.
    Did I help?
    Dan
    …you know what…?…I have a little more…
    You asked about a good price…here’s my opinion.
    I know this may sound juvenile…but, my barometer is this…”Is it fair?” If it’s not fair…I don’t want to play. I’ll find a different game.
    Do not be afraid to offer costs to the person wanting the work.
    In other words…
    1) If MY help gets 12.50 an hour…and because of dry times…moving cones…that’s 2 hours…that’s a starting bid of 25.00. BUT…there’s 20% more for Unemployment and SS…etc…so…he gets 50.00.
    2) If the paint is 4 gallons…that’s 15.00 each = 60.00 more.
    3) If I get 35.00 per hour…then that’s 70.00 more.
    4) GTO = Gas, Ties and Oil = overhead = 40.00 per hour = 80.00 more.
    Estimate may be…180.00 to 260.00. Again…you need to decide this range.
    Let’s say you say 250.00.
    Here’s what happens…the owner then says…HEY MAN…you’re here…!
    OK…that’s not fair. If I weren’t…it’d be 260.00. Since I am here…it’s NOTHING? That’s not fair to my wife…who needs shoes…kids who needs books…to me, who has upkeep, repairs…and I’m good…and I AM right her…etc. SO…let’s meet half way…220.00.
    Again…it may sound juvenile…but my offer is fair…to everyone.
    Brad, you decide some of this. But…if I decide I have the time…but it’s just not a good or fair offer…I’ll be headin’ home.
    I hope I helped.
    Dan

Anonymous
    Inactive

dan,

thanks for the help.

Brad

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.