facebookpixel

Does Infrared repair leave a seam?

Home Forums Infrared Repair Forum Does Infrared repair leave a seam?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, I am new to the business and have a question. I’ve never done infrared before but I hear it is quite nice. Can you tell me if when you repair a pot hole with infrared if it will leave a seam? If not, is that the big selling point? Is it a fast process? Thanks. Sorry for the basic questions.

Bill

If it is done correctly, it does NOT leave a seam. It blends the two asphalts together, with no cold joint for water to penetrate. Yes it is a good selling point, for the above reason! I sell a lot of work that is done just for that reason, when an overlay is done on a partial area in a big lot. You can “blend the two together on the edges.

Sorry, I missed the fast process question. In comparison to conventional cutout, it is faster, and cheaper. The actual infrared heating process takes anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes, depending on ambiant temperature, type of equipment etc. A “total repair” can usually be done in 1/2 hour or so. The only big equipment you need is a infrared machine, and a hotbox for your extra material needed. (SHIM)
    Compare that to the needs for a cutout repair, and you start to see the savings. AND you are recycling most of the asphalt, which is a GREEN effort, which is becoming very popular.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Rhino. This really helps me since i’m new at all this. I’ve been looking at infrared equipment and it’s hard to know what good or not. It all seems the same to me. Can you tell me who makes good infrared repair equipment? Or is it all the same?

I can’t speak for all manufacturers. The only thing I can tell you is….it depends on the type of work you are anticipating. I planned to start small, so I didn’t need a really big machine. I selected a KM 44-8 because of its flexability on small jobs. I have not been sorry for that decision. Tell Cliff that the Rhino sent ya!! LOL

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Bill
    Be careful with full depth repairs as IR is only good for about 40-50mm depth. Your average depth of a full cut (top/base) is between 90 & 120mm so cracking may re-appear!
    Inform the customer and/or suggest alternatives; a lap joint, a heat remove-reheat compact-replace original heated material into area to finish to give a long term joint repair.
    Obviously the more north you are the more freeze/thaw cycles will impact the area. I can’t speak for southern states-they may succeed with a single heat on full depth cuts.
    Regards

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.