facebookpixel

choice of machines?

Home Forums Pavement Striping Equipment choice of machines?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

helloim am new in the stripoing business. I am looking to purchase my machine asap. I’m trying to decide between the Graco airlessco 3650 or the Titan Speedflo 2800m
    Can I pls get some pro’s and cons. asap.
    lol thanks, i’ll be looking forward to your expertise.
    Victor …. call 256-405-7186.

Hello Victor
    Just for the record…we talked via phone a couple days ago.
    I’m not sure about the Airlessco. I’ve heard…not the best stories. AND…I predict…well…never mind.
    Next…the 2800M is obsolete. That said…I believe there may be one out there somewhere. But…it may be like trying to find the Corvette in Grandma’s garage. The 2850 has replaced it. The Graco 3400 is also a proven machine. Either one is a great place to start.
    Next…if you find a used machine…I would want to see it in action. If you came to my shop to buy a used machine off me…I would have it ready with water. Fire it up. Spray some lines. Work through all the bells and whistles…etc. So…treat the experience like buying a used car. I wouldn’t buy it unless I could at least drive it around the block.
    And, by the way…I don’t have a used one to sell. Sorry. Keep looking though.
    It was good talking to you.
    Keep in touch.
    Dan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Victor,

I have sold and used Graco, MB, Hugg, Kelly Creswell, JCL, and Titans. The four in the middle are mostly known for their conventional airspray units. Of those I like the durability and functionality of the JCL unit. The two outer ones Graco and Titan are airless and likely what you are working toward. In my experience the Graco has a lot more gadgets, but the Titan is more durable for the job. One caveat is that I am speaking of the Titan SpeeFlo machines that have the hydraulic piston pumps. These are the models 4900 and up. I am so sold on them I went exclusively with them a few years back for all 7 of our locations. The machines you mention I believe are all light duty. I would caution you on this, as what buy for today, you may regret tomorrow. I would recommend that you buy either the Graco or Titan SpeeFlo that can can help you grow. As for Airlesco, I have only a little experience with this brand and none very good. However things do change… If you would like to discuss further you are welcome to call me at 904-448-4074×10.

Greg

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dan, I mentioned a while back that I had found a used 2800M. It was only used 3 times. I don’t know if you have run into this, but there is a hex plug on the pump, in the front. Maybe some are different, but I think this is where you add oil. I cannot get this plug out. I bent a hex wrench by trying to loosen it with a crescent wrench. Today, I went to Sears and bought a small hex socket set, so I could get a little torque. I am afraid to pull it any harder than I have. I’m afraid of rounding the inside of the plug out.

This thing isn’t left handed is it? The only other thing I can think of is to heat the plug. It looks like it is cast into aluminum. It’s finally time to go to work, here in South Dakota. I do have 3 jobs lined up in the next week, but I want to give this thing a test run. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Arcee
    How are you?
    …STOP…! That’s not what you think…!
    Show me what it is. Take a pic…email it to me.
    Next…jump ahead of me and try this number…800.526.5362.
    That’s the “Technical Service” number to Titan.
    …aaaggghhh…but there’s no time…it’s 4:40 PM EDT. I’ll call.
    Oil only goes into (2) places.
    1) The actual ENGINE
    2) Right where you see the piston rod of the PUMP. It’s behind a little “Faceplate”. ( It kinda looks and acts like a face guard to a football helmet. It’s about 2-3 inches wide and maybe one inch tall. )
    Remove two little screws. ( You’ll find that the holes on the Faceplate are slotted. )
    There may be a black rubber cover that the rod goes up and down through. Lift it up if so. And again…just put the piston lube oil in that little “cupped” area. Then slide the black rubber cover back down the piston rod and replace the Faceplate.
    That’s it. Just those two places.
    How’s that?
    Let me know.
    Dan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks a lot Dan. I ended up calling Tom at Titan. The manual that came with this unit says to add oil, but never shows where. Now I’ll see if the thing works. The manual isn’t real clear on the tip to use. It has a yellow plastic thing on the gun. I’ll google to see what I can find. The manual could be a little more precise on a few things. I have a meeting this afternoon with a medium sized restaurant chain. They are trying to cut costs, so are offering to have one of their maintenance guys help. your book shows how to do it alone, but I guess that I’ll just say that they can save a little time and money, if they will blow/broom the old lines. I can’t see the lines, but see the outline of them.(darker)

I don’t want to get into purchasing a broom yet. Do you work with someone that owns a sweeper, or do you find it easy to sidestep. There is a Taco John’s here that said the company he has used automatically sweeps the lot first. If he is honest, it is pretty cheap.

Thanks again.

Arcee
    …anytime…you’re welcome.
    Next…try a 1708 tip. It sprays a 4″ line through a .017″ orifice.
    It’ll allow you to walk a little slower than you normally walk. Take you time…get good coverage.
    Next…I use .019″ tips. I can walk a little faster. The paint is coming out an orifice .002″ larger. I know that sounds like a tiny, little difference…but it makes a difference.
    Next…these tips are designed to give that width at a PRESUPPOSED 12″ height. ( I don’t spray from 12″ up. ) So…a long time ago, I started using tips that produce a 6″ wide fan at a PRESUPPOSED 12″ height. I just lower the gun closer to the ground. It’s that simple. NOW…the wind isn’t a factor and…if the old lines are 4 1/2″ or 5″ wide…I can easily slide my gun up 1/4″ and still get wide enough to cover the old, existing wider lines.
    Next…that said…I just sold an 800…a small machine, to a guy. He’s getting a nice 4″ line at around 8″ off the ground.
    SO…here’s my best advice…get the standard 1708. AND…buy a 1712 too. Start with the 1708. If all is well…carry on. Don’t look back. IF…IF…you wish to see what the 1712 will do…try it.
    The last (2) numbers indicate the width…but you need to divide by (2). SO…a 1708 = a .017″ orifice spraying a 4″ line.
    A 1712 = a .017″ orifice spraying a 6″ line. Make sense?
    Next…when you get more confident…you may very well switch to spraying with a .019″ orifice. Again…you can walk a little faster and still give good coverage.
    Think of a garden hose. Turn the water all the way on. Then…water the lawn using a garden hose that’s 1/2″ in diameter. You’ll move kinda slowly, taking your time. THEN…switch to a 1″ garden hose and water the lawn a little more quickly. Get it?
    Last…which ever tip you use…1708, 1712, 1908, 1912…give good coverage. If the lot is rough…you’ll use a little more paint. If it’s newer, smooth…you’ll use a normal amount. Again…think of painting the interior wall of you home vs. painting the stucco of an exterior wall. No big deal. Simple stuff. Think it through.
    Bottom line…start with the 1708…take your time.
    Next…buy a good Set Fast from Sherwin Williams. BUT…DO NOT buy the “Hotline”. It will clog tips. It’s good for airports or “Conventional” Machines. Ask for PN = Part Number 8000-52904 for the Yellow. Ask for PN 8000-01786 for the White.
    Those paints are also high in “Solid Particles”…56%…but not so high as to clog the tips.
    OR…try 8000-03246 for the Yellow and 8000-03238 for the White. These have 50% solids and should be a little less cost. BUT…they’re fine paints, too.
    Again…but NOT the “Hotline”.
    NEXT…I don’t sweep. I never sweep. That said…I carry a “Street Broom”. It has “killer” bristles. I also carry a wire brush that looks like a 12″ “toothbrush”. Arcee, I’m only going to brush off…or sweep off…whatever is ON THE LINE. IF…IF a customer wants me to sweep a parking lot…that’s different bid.
    Keep in touch.
    Dan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.