facebookpixel

Anti freeze?

Home Forums Pavement Striping Materials Anti freeze?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey ya’ll~

Just a dumb question, one that probably doesn’t need answering anyway. We’re running latex and acetone based acrylic…weather turned pretty quickly and we’ve got a back supply of latex I’d love to try to use up. I thought I heard (maybe even on here) that there was a theory of adding an anti-freeze to latex. Am I just barking up a dead tree? Easiest solution is obviously just to convert everything to acrylic and try to use up latex on scattered interior jobs when needed. See…told it was a dumb question. Anyway, thanks y’all.

Hello DB
    How are you?
    Friend…I switched to Acetone (2) months ago.
    I was early…and…I don’t spray over seal. i just don’t have that clientele.
    Anyhow…that said…I would switch. you can return the latex…keep it for a sunny day…blahblah…
    How’s that?
    Dan

Dan I use latex all year want to switch to acetone how do you clean machine to switch

Hello DB
    How are you?
    Thanks again for the post.
    I have a rule…I put the “cleaning agent” in the machine first.
    That’s it.
    So…if you have a machine that has water in it…from when you cleaned out the latex paint…
    First…clean out the water with…( in this case… ) Xylene. ( Because you are preparing to install Acetone. )
    Then…when the Xylene is in the machine…then put the Acetone in it.
    AND…vice versa…when you want to go back to latex…push the Xylene out with water…THEN…put the latex in.
    I hope that makes sense.
    Another way to say that is…I don’t mind if the cleaning agents touch each other…but…I am not a fan of the paint touching the wrong cleaning agent…just in case there’s a semi reaction…and that turns into silly string…or bubble gum…or goo…!
    Next…the first time I did this…I put the Xylene in the machine…and let it sit for maybe 20 minutes. Then I pushed it out with more. Some little deposits flew out…no big deal.
    Then I put the paint in. I did the job. Cleaned it out again with Xylene…all is well.
    Then…I started not cleaning my machine. The Xylene is costly…AND…you cannot just easily dispose of Xylene.
    And again…all is well. Yes, paint is in my machine for days…even a week. Yes, I have jobs…but…sometimes the stencil manufacturing takes over and I am a weekend warrior…when it comes to striping. And again…I do not clean my machine.
    Next…I also reuse the Xylene. When that bucket sits…the paint settles.
    Last…I know there’s a “Good, Better, Best” scenario. But, I’ve had no troubles. I’ve used the same Xylene for a long time. My machine is ready to go…blahblah.
    And…”not cleaning” is a habit when I was striping two jobs per day.
    ( I also know there are crews…within my town…good guys…who never clean either. And…that’s because their work load is much more full than mine…= who has time to clean…?
    How’s that for some info…?
    Bottom line…switch over to Acetone. You’ll lengthen your season on both ends: into the Fall and also in the earlier Spring.
    ( AND…you’ll sneak in a few jobs when rain is eminent…knowing the paint will be bone dry…quickly. )
    DB…let me know how it all goes. Have confidence.
    Your friend.
    Dan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.