facebookpixel

Reply To: Mixing Striping Paint – Brown

Home Forums Pavement Striping Materials Mixing Striping Paint – Brown Reply To: Mixing Striping Paint – Brown

Hello Friend
How are you?
First…let me say a caution type thing…
Whenever anyone wants a “different” color…= other than White or Yellow…I say one of two things…
1) Let me get a color close to that. “Traffic Paint” cannot be easily tinted.
…or…
2) No.
Here’s a story…I had a Bar and Grill needing Green stripes. I asked…can I just get close to Green? It’ll be a mix of Blue and Yellow…best we can. Maybe “Grass Green”…? The client said…absolutely…all is well.
Another story…I had a guy wanting Pink. He was a Periodontist. He said…I want the Pink to be the same color as your gums. I stated…I can’t guarantee I can get the exact color you’re picturing. It’ll just be a mix of Red and White.
He said…just make some and bring it by for approval.
I said…No.
Bottom line…2 things…
1) I cannot be the one responsible for guessing what shade the client wants.
2) I should not be the one totally on the hook for that work…cost…time…etc.
3) “Traffic Paint” cannot be tinted to anything. To be tinted to “anything”…you need a clear base to start…or a deep base…for darker colors…to start. Traffic Paint comes already White or Yellow.
Next…knowing this…you decide. Maybe your client is ok with a slightly different shade…maybe not…etc.
Next…I have a personal policy. If I am about to do some job that is a “one off” type job…then the entire cost is in my bid.
In other words…I estimated 4 gallons for the “Green Bar and Grill”. I didn’t want to run out…so I had 10 made up. I put the entire cost of that Green paint into my bid. Why…?…because I surmised that I would never use the left over. That seemed fair to me. ( If a client wants Yellow…I charge for what I use. I can always use the left over on the next job. )
I hope that all makes sense.
I hope I helped.
Let me know how it works out.
Dan