facebookpixel

Reply To: Road Striping

Home Forums Pavement Striping Materials Road Striping Reply To: Road Striping

Hello again, Bran.
Here’s what I have…
My unit is the (3) Pump, (2) Color Graco Road Laser…or LaZer…whichever you prefer…!
It has the “Crazy Wheel” on the back.
First…the entire unit attaches to my truck via (2) Ball Hitches. They’re 32″ apart…?…I think…I forget now.
( I always get people asking…”What do you pull?” It looks like I have a Square Dual Exhaust from the 50s on my truck. )
Then…the actual, entire unit is on that 6′ x 4’…? “Trailer”…ish…

Then…behind it is the “Crazy Wheel”.
It’s a trailer sized wheel…that is on a complete swivel thingy…that goes anywhere…any direction…anywhere…easily.
You don’t need another “steering wheel”.
SO…I’m just used to that. It does not need a driver or another “steering wheel”…etc.

NEXT…my partner had both the Crazy Wheel…and…the Skid mounted unit.
Some would cut the unit. like mine, and weld it onto a skid…or just slide it into the back of a truck…or onto a flat bed.
THEN…you would experience a need for a wheel of sorts when going around a curve. If not…the Line would “cut the corner”…and “Short” the other lane…!…aaaggghhh.
Picture one of those huge, LONG Fire Engines that has the Driver in the back to turn those rear wheels. That’s what you would need…or something, obviously, less sophisticated to turn the gun or allow it to slide toward the Center of your truck…while striping a curve…so as NOT to follow the actual truck…and therefore NOT “Short” the other, “opposing” lane.
Does that make sense? I hope I painted a clear picture. ( Get it…?…”painted” a clear picture…! )…sorry…couldn’t resist.
Anyhow…with my Crazy Wheel…I just don’t have that bad luck or trouble.
With the (2) ball hitches…the unit is forced to stay behind my truck…and NOT “trail” when I turn. The Crazy Wheel does the work.

Bottom line…check out the “Skid Mounted Units” vs. the Units like mine…Crazy Wheel Units….etc.
And…keep in mind…in the one scenario…it was a nice unit…that someone wanted to slide into or onto a truck that caused trouble.
( I’m betting Graco would not send out a unit that wouldn’t turn…or…MFG a unit without that capability. )
Bryan, thanks for the questions…I hope I helped…keep looking into roads…keep in touch.
Dan