facebookpixel

Reply To: Road Striping

Home Forums Pavement Striping Materials Road Striping Reply To: Road Striping

Hey Brian
How are you?
Let’s talk “Temporary Striping”, first.
I love road striping. I have a 3 pump Road Lazer. I also use a Line Lazer behind a little Graco 3900. ( That’s like one of those Jet Skiis…!) Be careful.
I’m always inside a Zone…or moving so quickly…I don’t need one. I’ll have a truck follow me…etc.
There aren’t any cars. I know that sounds different…but it’s true.
The work goes quickly. I always find shade if I have to wait…etc.
The pay is good and the margins are great.
Next…whenever I’m given a map…all dimensions should be there. I’ve never “wheeled it”.
In my experience…it’s always by the foot…per lane…per mile.
AND…we get paid from Point “A” to Point “B”.
SO…if it’s a two lane road…there’s ONE Lane Line. It that road is 1.25 miles long…then we price it for the entire 1.25 miles.
That means…right through the intersections…etc.
Here’s the thought…if I lay out and SNAP a parking lot…then go home…do I get paid…? Nope.
I should though…it was work. SO…again…the entire length of the job…even if it’s not painted…such as 4′ ON and 40′ OFF…= a 4′ “DOT”…then a 40′ “GAP”.
I get paid for the OFF section too.
I hope that make sense.
Next…often, contractors will ask for the price per mile. I give that in dollars…500.00…600.00…etc…per Lane Line, Per Mile.
Again…that’s per Lane LINE.
Again…if it’s a THREE lane road = One Lane North…One Lane South…and that One Suicide Lane in the middle…then you will probably paint the TWO Yellow Lines common to the Suicide lane…so…
…if that road is 3.9 miles…then you bid …3.9 miles TWICE.
Does that make sense?
Next…you will have a DECELERATION LANE…here and there = “Decel Lane”. I don’t worry about those. I bid the entire length “times” the number of Lane Lines.
AND…that goes for a Solid Line or a Dotted Line. Obviously the Dots cots less to produce = more margin of profit.
Next…on Temporary Striping…we do not have to do ALL work on the Temp.
We only stripe the Lane Lines…dots…decels…that’s about it. We still “kinda” lay it out…we do make it look nice.
The price is a little less…but it’s quick and margins are nice.
Next…we aren’t required to stripe Crosswalks…Stop Bars…etc. BUT…sometimes we do…just because…in this one or two jobs…here and there…it may be best.
That’s it.
Bid the job per lane line, per mile. Get that number.
Then…figure costs.
The rest is up to you. Come down in price to get your feet in the door…etc.
Next…painting the Legends = Words…Directional Arrows…etc.
1) Again…we do not have to do these on a Temp. Sometimes I do. If ever just decided to make that ONE lane that turns RIGHT ONLY…I will probably make that “Channelizing LANE” = that ONE SOLID WHITE, 8″ wide Lane Line…solid…then hand spray a big white Right Turn Arrow. No big deal. Fun. Again…it’s all Temp. But…we do a good job.
2) But…on a Total Re-stripe…you will. ( Obviously…paint everything. )
That bidding seems too easy. If you’re a seasoned striper…you have those numbers…those costs.
( And here…we’re talking about paint…not Thermoplastic = Thermo. )
Next…on painting the “Top Course”…there may be two types of Glass beads…
One is the “regular” type.
The other may be called out. It’s a “better”
…bigger…more reflective…etc…bead. Buy those.
Next…there’s also a paint call out. In Ohio the paint could be Hot Line. It passes a certain test…etc. You’ll need to show that is what you’re using…what you bought …etc. Easy stuff. It should also be called out. No big deal.
Next…if there’s not…and it’s a smaller township just needing a bid…I just use that stuff anyway.
( I’m out of breath…well…my typing fingers are out of breath. )

Brian…bid the job. Bid it like you see it. Try to get it. It’s like anything else…your first will be a bit nerve racking…the 5th…will be fun.
( I just bid a “Wally World”…what a silly group of specs. Gimmee a road anyday. )
I hope I organized everything well enough.
I hope I didn’t skip anything.
Let me know.
AND…let me know how the first job goes.
Last…sorry for the delay. …storms…power outages…no internet…aaaggghhh…!
( I’m at Cop O Joes”…online…!)
Keep in touch.
Dan