facebookpixel

Reply To: Spray tip recommendations

Home Forums Pavement Striping Equipment Spray tip recommendations Reply To: Spray tip recommendations

Hello Diamond
How are you?
I just got in from striping. I saw the post.
Let me say this…we should talk via phone.
That said…the SW rep did you right. The Graco Tip Guard will screw onto the Titan gun. Then you need to use a Graco tip. Graco tips are great. I use them everyday.
Next…just to be sure…
1) The tip should be Yellow…in color. That’s the designation for a “Striping” tip.
2) 3517 sounds wrong. It may say…317. If so…I’m surprised you’re having trouble getting a wider line. Here’s why…
The first digit = the line width…BUT…multiply it by two. SO…the “3” means it’ll spray a 6″ line. THAT”S ALL I EVER USE…!
The next 2 digits – the orifice inside…so it’s a .017″.
Next…if you’re using a 317…Yellow…striping tip…and still getting a 3.5″ line…I’m going to ask about the pressure.
Let me say this…crank it up…all the way…then back it off a quarter turn. THEN…spray a line. Did that help?
If it did in a slight way…I’ll now ask about the paint. If you’re spraying thin liquid…the machine won’t have to work as hard. BUT…if you’re spraying thick liquid…it has to work hard. So…I don’t use the SW Hotline. I love their TWO Set Fast Paints. One has 50% solids and the other has 57% solid materials. ( So…one is slightly thicker than the other…that’s it. ) The Hotline has 67%…and it gives me fits in my machine. Others love it…you decide.
SO…we’ere down to “upping” the pressure…( and the engine too…just like you were going to mow the grass…crank the engine up…! ) If you cannot get a nice 4.5″ line with the gun maybe 5″ to 6″ off the ground…let’s talk paint.
Next…again…the paint topic…if you mean that SW gave you house paint = interior…change it out. Thank them. Try a Traffic Paint. Here’s my recommendation…ask which Set Fast they carry. Then buy that. It doesn’t matter to me if it’s 50% solid or 57% solid…just buy it.
Last…I wrote an article and Brett posted it here titled…How To Stripe Straight and Stop and Start Where You Want…how’s that for a title?
It should be in the “Articles” section.
I’m going to hit Post…and go look for it.
Call me if you want…email…post…etc…
I hope that gets us started.
Dan
OK…I’m back…try this… go to the Home page. Scroll down to Asphalt Articles. Then go to the Line Striping Section and look for that title.
OR…if I did this right…here’s the link…
https://www.pavemanpro.com/article/how_to_stripe_straight_start_stop_exactly_where_you_want/