facebookpixel

Reply To: Why not sealcoat major roads?

Home Forums Sealcoating Materials Why not sealcoat major roads? Reply To: Why not sealcoat major roads?

I might try a reply here…
…It doesn’t last. It’s not meant to.
It would be the equivalent of painting a Freeway…or even a street. Again…it wouldn’t last.
AND…some part of the decision making is to “make it look like new again…or at least better”…
Here’s the snag…it would only wear off in the tire tracks. THAT is not “making it look better”.
Here’s an analogy…when I stripe parking lots…we use paint. When I stripe streets…I use melted plastic….125″ thick = Thermo Plastic. Why? Because paint wouldn’t last.
Next…I have a client that performs “Slurry Seal”…”Chip Seal”…”Micro Seal”…
I’ll “Layout and Stripe” behind his crew…because when this 1/4″ “stuff” goes all over the ROAD, CITY BUS COMPOUND or (4) Lane BRIDGE…I cannot see the old striping through it. Again…it’s much thicker = will last under extreme or stressful circumstances. ( This is also used on Bridges because some bridges weren’t designed to hold the additional weight of an “Over Lay”…so…?…”micro seal”…or…”micro pave”…? )
That’s the answer = it won’t last.
Last…this is also why some “Chain Stores” don’t seal. They receive higher traffic and seal coat wears unevenly…then it looks bad…then they Re-seal for aesthetics only. Case in point…?…Wendy’s Seal Coat every year. It wears off in the Drive Lane…due to heavy, turning traffic. McDonald’s does not. Unless a Franchisee wants to spend the money.
I milled off 2000′ of striping, at a local shopping center, to Lay it out differently…because they have a “No Seal” Policy.
Anyhow…I hope some of this gives background and helps…some.
P.S. ( Please don’t quiz me on the molecular differences between “Slurry”, “Chip and “Micro”. I’m a striper! )
…oh…most Fire Departments won’t seal either…get it?…big, heavy trucks…blah…blah…
See ya.
Dan