facebookpixel

Reply To: Paving roller weight

Home Forums Paving Materials & Technique Forum Paving roller weight Reply To: Paving roller weight

Hawaii
I just got back. I’ve followed a large paving crew for 17 years. I stripe for them. They have multiple crews…millions in machinery…etc. We’ve done too many Malls, Parks, Streets…etc…to remember. Anyhow…they’re qualified.
Here’s what I’ve learned:
1) The owner of the company said…”92%? That’s not much. He should be fine. If it’s a Vibratory Roller…he’ll definitely be fine”.
2) Two of his engineers were also there. One replied; “I agree. 92% isn’t hard to achieve”.
3) BUT…they both said…”He won’t be able to get too much production, though”.
Hawaii…this is what I think they meant…you can’t put too much asphalt down…and by that I mean a lift…and then try to roll it. In other words…put a little down…roll it…get your compaction and then move along.
I think their concern was this…don’t allow the paving crew to start pulling away from the Roller. Asphalt may start to set up before he’s finished getting compaction…and then there may be troubles.
I hope that helps. It sounds like what the other Post was getting at when he replied…”The hotter the weather…the better”. In other words…the asphalt won’t cool too fast…and that would allow the smaller Roller to keep up.
Bottom line…You should be fine…if you can take your time.
But if production demands a certain amount of tonnage be applied per day…Hawaii…I’ll let that decision up to you.
Next…have you considered renting a Roller? Rent a 5-7 Ton. Or…an 8-10. Have it delivered. Then your two Roller Operators can work together. One compacts…the other Finishes.
Hawaii, I hope I helped. Let me know.
AND…then they all asked…with smiles…”you gonna Sub the job to me?”
I told them it was in HI. Remember…we’re in OH. We have a few inches of Snow on the ground.
See ya.
Dan