facebookpixel

Reply To: Blocking apartment complex lot

Home Forums Pavement Striping Materials Blocking apartment complex lot Reply To: Blocking apartment complex lot

Hello Mr. Bud
Here’s what’s worked for me…then I’ll tell you what others have done.
IF…again…IF it’s going to be a HOT day = dry times are very short…then I tell the MGR…”don’t do anything. I’ll show up at 10 AM…when the Sun is nice and high…and almost everyone has gone to work. I’ll cone off a nice section…just the stalls…and spray away. Dry times will be short and I’ll pull the cones as I move around the lot in a uniform fashion.”
That’s what I do, Mr. Bud. It always works. So…yes…it’s a 2-3 day trip…but it’s middle of the day. SO…I’m out at 4 PM…? That’s when some are returning home. (Just like a City Street job. I’m not allowed in the “Inbound Lane” until after 9AM and I must be out of the “Outbound Lane” by 4. No biggee.)
That said…I’ve passed on some complexes…and I’ve added to my ESTIMATE for others…and on some…I go after them…aggressively. Take a look at the surroundings. Some complexes are conducive to this type of plan. Others aren’t. You decide.
Next…don’t be afraid to talk to the owner about semi-obvious upcoming concerns…like…?…the broken boat trailer…or the abandoned car…You will skip those stripes “and the job will still be considered complete”.
Next…”Others” pass out fliers or send emails to their Tenants. This helps. But…not as much as you think. People still get the kids to school and still leave for work…at the same times…etc. Again…it’s up to you.
Last…I’ve always found cool people. The Ground Maintenance Person will talk to a tenant…the actual tenant will see the cones and ask…”Hey…!…do you want me to move that…!?” AND…your response is always…PLEASE…! AND COULD YOU PULL INTO A STRIPED STALL FOR ME?…or…YES…!…IF YOU’LL JUST PULL BACK…I’LL STRIPE IT AND YOU CAN PULL RIGHT BACK IN…! ( You are going to be viewed as “very welcomed”…even a hero…!)
It always works out.
Bottom line…be fair to yourself. Be honest. Will it take 2 easy trips without anyone being inconvenienced?…or will it be a nightmare 3, 4, 5…? …trips that no one will co-operate?…no MGR…OR…the parking lots are rarely empty?
Again…I give the estimate. I try to be fair…to everyone…even me. And…I’ve passed.
Last…these can be nice fill-in jobs. I’ll knock out what I can…leave at 3…?…4…?…and then go to a Paving Crew that now has something for me to Layout…or I’ll go home…or I’ll work only in the Drive Lane and paint the Stop Bars…if any…etc…
I hope this helps. Let me know.
Dan