facebookpixel

Reply To: Clogging

Home Forums Pavement Striping Equipment Clogging Reply To: Clogging

Hey Laszlo
…just got in…striping…football game…blah blah blah…
How are you?
I’m sure the local paint store will either have a filter on hand or can order one easily.
Also…look for the local shop that simply fixes Pressure Washers…Airless Sprayers…and certainly a Striping Machine is an Airless Sprayer…except on wheels. They too, should easily be able to get any make and model in…if they don’t already have one in stock.
Next…my pressure varies…but only a little
When I’m striping over new, fresh asphalt…I’m sometimes up around 2200 – 2500. Whatever it takes to get volume…at the speed I choose…while considering that particular surface. Kinda like the difference between painting my living room wall vs. painting an outside stucco wall…for the first time. Maybe on the stucco we go slower and use more paint…which would translate to striping…we go slower…use a bigger tip…to allow more paint to flow…OR turn the pressure up…to get more paint to flow…again considering the situation.
I also use a higher pressure when I’ “Temporary Striping” over a newly milled road. I know the stripes only need to last 2 days…but still…I want certain coverage on this rough type surface…so…keep bumping the pressure to match the speed I choose…( Speed = me on my “buggy” ).
Next…on a newly seal coated…( which I do very few of these days )…I’m thinking as low as 1600…but more likely 1800. BUT…2 things…
1) That surface is more than likely kinda smooth…because it just accepted 2 coats of seal. SO…the paint will sit up and you’ll get good coverage.
2) Sometimes I’d recommend moving to a 317 tip…especially for a newer person.
Now…that said…if you walk slower…= a new striper person…over seal…with a smaller tip…maybe 1600 lbs is enough. BUT…if you gain some confidence and start walking faster…then you may need to bump the pressure to 1900 lbs while using the 317…or 1708…= .017 orifice. Make sense?
Next…if you have a .019 tip and you use 1900 lbs…you probably will be walking faster…that’s a higher amount of pressure coming through a bigger orifice…over a smooth surface…get it?
Think of it as a garden hose. Big diameter?…water turned on slightly?…then spray = water the garden slowly…water turned on full?…you can water more quickly…smaller diameter garden hose…big outlet?…etc…
Does that help?
I hope. Keep in touch.
Dan