facebookpixel

Reply To: Sealcoating & Identifying Oil Based Paint

Home Forums Sealcoating Materials Sealcoating & Identifying Oil Based Paint Reply To: Sealcoating & Identifying Oil Based Paint

Hello Phil3366
In the 2nd paragraph…I doubt it…= Phil, (may I call you Phil), as a Customer, I would see a price difference of…what?…40 cents per foot x 18′ x 60 cars…? x 200 cars? Probably more like $1.00 per foot…? (We…you and I) cannot forget the cleanup…or cost of the blades. I know…practically…we would grind…then blow off the parking lot to prepare for Seal. So…the labor wouldn’t be “another” charge. But…your bid would prompt two things…
1) As a Customer…I would think…what? I’ve never heard of that.
2) I’ll get another bid…(if I didn’t already have one…or two…that were very close in price…then I’d see yours.)
Neither scenario is cool.
I’m still TOTALLY in your camp. I stripe everywhere in Ohio…in cold weather = Spring = NOW…!…and later October, evenings…through the first week of December…WITH OIL…!
Next…I need to clarify something…
Scenario (1) … If I…as a Striper…stripe the Shopping Center with Oil based paint…then (1) year goes by…and then you Seal Coat the place…you should be fine…LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE…ALL OVER THE CITY…! THEN…if I as a Striper come in and “Re-stripe To Existing Layout and Pattern Over Seal”…Phil…I would definitely…definitely…use LATEX paint. And WE…you and I…would be fine. Bill it. Pay me in (30) days. Let’s look for more.
Scenario (2) If I…as a Striper…stripe the Shopping Center with Oil based paint…then (1) year goes by…and then you Seal Coat the place…you should be fine…LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE…ALL OVER THE CITY…! THEN…if I as a Striper come in and “Re-stripe To Existing Layout and Pattern Over Seal”…THEN…use Acetone…OR…Oil based paint…again…over fresh seal…I would definitely…definitely…expect a problem. MINE…not yours…to solve.
So…here’s my question…which scenario is it?
Here’s my first idea for a fix. I would Restripe a few…”far out” lines with a different paint. Not…lines up close to the front doors. I’m expecting this will cover and suffice. But…I don’t know all the molecular crap with paint. I do know…that when I painted…solid paint…over a concrete floor that the “paint” was actually a grey stain. It reacted with the old stripes…in some places. It blistered. I waited. I scraped a few places. I re painted with the grey stain…again…then it was fine. Here’s my point…sometimes…some paints react with the “stuff” under them…whether it’s your seal or the old stripe. I DO NOT think it’s a reaction though between YOUR seal and the OLD, existing paint stripe. Phil…I’m thinking it was the NEWLY applied paint…to your fresh seal. I’m sorry to say this…but…I THINK…your striper may have sprayed Acetone. Acetone will eat. Check me. Check me. Check me. AND…I’m also on the side of your striper. Go back. Stripe with Latex over some remote lines. Wait (3) days…no reaction?…Is the final product ok with the owner?…Re-stripe the entire thing. Work out the money with the striper…privately…later. BUT…attack this thing together…as a team…with the Owner.
Next…if it’s gooey. Try Seal Coating over a few remote lines as a test. Then Re-stripe those lines only…again…with Latex. Friend…we all make mistakes. I don’t care. I will take it on the jaw…if it’s my fault. I will even take it on the jaw…if it’s not… to cover for someone. But we’re not done.
A) Tell me which scenario it is.
B) Try Test # 1.
If it works…we’re done. If not…
C) Try Test # 2. Bill the job.
Behind the scenes…work it out with the Striper. And…stick up for him…or her.
Keep me posted.
Last…as a note…Alkyd based paints are still out there. They are just different formulas…than what they used to be. You don’t have to go to Acetone. Sherwin Williams probably still sells an Alkyd. Seal Master may. RAE Products sells it. Glidden sells it. Check me. I’m not saying I’m right in my assumptions = I think Acetone was used over fresh Seal. I am saying…as a Striper…I forgot…once…and sprayed Alkyd over fresh Seal. When I realized…20 lines later…I looked back. Nothing wild happened. The job was still fine. But I did see a small reaction. The new White stripe…of mine…turned a slight “parchment” color at the edges. That’s it. BUT…I never “forgot” since. BUT…when I didn’t have my H/C stencil…on a different job…I came back later. And…to save time…I only brought my H/C stencil and a Blue Spray Can = Aerosol Striping Paint. I didn’t know it was “Oil Based”. I sprayed the H/C. It got gooey. It ran. Fuzzy edges. Crap…! I learned. So…what I am saying…IF…IF…your striper used oil based paint…I don’t think it would be a scary mess. But…I do know Sherwin Williams offers great advice in their seminars. I just went to one, Thursday, Columbus OH. They point out…correctly…Acetone will eat..= CLEAN…! out your machine. So…before you put Acetone inside a Striping Machine…make sure it’s clean. Why…? Again…Acetone…is a stripper…(Goggle it)…it will eat small deposits of old paint…inside the striper…and then probably clog it. Phil…that’s why…I think…Acetone was used. If I’m wrong…I apologize…right now.
Check me.
Again…keep in touch. Keep me posted.
And again…your Striper will help. Stick up for him or her. Please.
Dan