facebookpixel

Reply To: Good Comparison list on striping machines

Home Forums Pavement Striping Equipment Good Comparison list on striping machines Reply To: Good Comparison list on striping machines

I think I disagree. But…I want to be fair…so first I’ll say this.
1) I own a Graco. I own a Titan. I also own a conventional. I love each one. No complaints…at all.
2) I started striping in ’93. In ’98 I completed my 1000th job. Don’t be impressed. That’s only, about, 200 jobs per year.
OK? OK.
Now…to my readers…try this…
A) Get a can of spray paint.
B) Spray a polka dot onto the ground.
C) Walk 9′ and spray another one…don’t look back!
D) Walk another 9′ and spray another one.
E) Repeat this process until you have 20 polka dots in your row.
F) NOW…look back. Are they perfectly in line = perfectly straight? Probably not.
Ask yourself…could you drive a perfectly straight line…for 180′?…while your striper sprays a polka dot for you? Maybe?
Phase Two…
A) Walk 36′ away and make a parallel line of polka dots. That’s right…36′ away and 9′ apart from the first row. Again…you have 2 rows of polka dots…kinda parallel and each dot is 9′ apart. OK? OK.
B) Connect the dots…(between the 36′ dimensions). Let’s make it simpler…
C) Put (2) dots on the ground. 36′ apart. Paint a stripe between them…perfectly straight…razor sharp…as though you snapped a line.
Could you do it? Could you do it 20 times in a row?
NOW…here’s more…
What if there were (3) double bays to stripe…and…they lined up? (In a minute, I’ll send you to my site for a video.) Could you do that? What if there aren’t any islands to give you a “starting point”? …as if islands are always perfect.
Would I do this?…never…especially on a NEW LAYOUT. Never. Would I drive around trying to go straight…without snapping a line? Never.
That said…would I ever “unload and go” on a Re-stripe? Yes.
Would I ever “unload and go” on a Re-stripe over seal? No. I still snap. (Ok…maybe once every few years on that one perfect job.)
Would I ever “unload and go” on a brand new layout? Never.
OK…that said…I’ll bet these things have a purpose…angled lines in a parking garage?…spraying polka dots every 150’…inside the suicide lane…so workers can know where to place DOT arrows…etc.
Here’s my conclusion…I’ll wait. I’ll see how these things sell. I’ll wait for the other guys to let me know how they use them.
Now…go to my site. http://www.americanstriping.com
Click on the Video link.
One video deals with how to make your lines…not only straight…but “lined up”. Think it through.
And keep this in mind…your dots not only have to be straight…but they, too, need to be lined up.
So…will this save you time…yep. Money?…those two things kinda go hand in hand…so…yep.
(unless you have to do it again…or don’t get paid)…nothing personal.
But…will it give you the lines you need…on a brand new layout? Be careful.
Last…I love my Graco. I also love my Titan and my Conventional.
See ya.
Uncle Dan