Preparation of pavement cracks is an important step in successful sealant preparation. Heat lancing the cracks prior to sealant installation provides clean surfaces for sealant application and 40% greater chance of sealant success. Heat lancing the cracks provides a clean dry reservoir and sidewalls for sealant adhesion.
The chances of good sealant bonding are reduced by several factors including cold temperatures, dirt and moisture. This is where hot air lances step ahead in the game. The combustion system mixes propane and compressed air to create the high velocity hot air. These units can generate temperatures upward to 3000 degrees to remove moisture and debris from cracks. Commercial grade heat lance packages require more cubic feet per minute than the “self contained” wheeled heat lances or backpack blowers and produce a great margin more feet per second air velocity and less likely to burn the pavement than the wheeled units, thus making them designed more for commercial use than residential use depending on the contractors equipment. Commercial grade heat lance packages normally require a tow behind compressor and the lance is mounted to the truck pulling the kettle allowing operators to heat the cracks immediately before sealing. Operator attention is required as the crack should be thoroughly dried but not burned.
So if you’re looking for a sure advantage over your competition seriously consider using a hot air lance on your next commercial job.
Benefits of using a LAB Hot Air Lance over other crack cleaning methods.
• The heat lance will remove moisture when present with high velocity high temperature hot air.
• The hot air will bring the pavement temperature to a warmer condition while working in colder conditions
• The hot air lance extends your working sealing by allowing crews to seal cracks after recent rainfall, frost, or cold conditions when work normally cannot be completed.
• It eliminates many other preparation tools.
• Is much faster and much hotter than traditional hand torching methods.
• LAB heat lances only release hot compressed air, drying moisture instantly, leaving a warm dry area properly prepared for sealing. The flame is contained inside the combustion chamber.
• No more sending crews home after recent rainfall, just send them out with a heat lance and clean and dry with ease.
• LAB heat lances produce a cleaning blast up to 3000 feet per second of high velocity hot air, cleaning deep cracks quickly.
• LAB hot air lances are built of stainless steel providing long life and durable production.
For further info please visit http://www.heatlances.com or call 513-577-7200