facebookpixel

Reply To: Change from Latex to Alkyd ?

Home Forums Pavement Striping Materials Change from Latex to Alkyd ? Reply To: Change from Latex to Alkyd ?

Hello Randy
YES…! …how’s that?
The transition is easy. I love the oil based paints. I wish we could still use them in Ohio.
BUT…to save the earth…we outlawed them and invented Acetone. ( OK…I’m done with that… )
Next…I never did change out the tip either.
Next…I’ve only sprayed oil from my airless a few times…but again…it all went well. Same stuff. Same routine.
Next…the cleaning agent will be declared on the can…but it’s probably Mineral Spirits which is the same thing as Paint Thinner.
That said…check the cans…etc.
You’ll probably need 2-4 gallons to clean it well.
That said…if the job lapses over a few days…you don’t necessarily need to clean it out at the end of the day.
In other words…if you’re spraying Yellow…and the day ends…then just shut it down…pack up and go home.
The next day…if you’re starting with Yellow again…just unpack and fire it up.
Next…I do turn the tip sideways = 90 degrees. I think, in my puny mind, that this keeps all air from the system.
I know the top of the can may be semi open …but…it’s still ok…especially just over night.
Next…I’ve let mine sit for days.
Bottom line here…this will save you time in cleaning…in priming…and certainly in using up costly Mineral Spirits…which you can somewhat re-use…and…you won’t have as much waste to dispose of.
Randy…it’s all the same. You’ll like the oil.
Next…on the H/Cs…if you’re going to “Black then out”…use Blue…it’s prettier.
Snap a base line…put your stencil down…trace around it…slide it aside…hand roll the blue “block”…let it dry…put your stencil back on top of the Blue Block…spray the color that’s in the gun…done.
As far as time…it doesn’t matter. If I like you and your price is fair and you tell me 4 trips…after hours…I’d hire you.
If the other guy says 1 trip…I don’t really care. I’m not hiring a striper…or a machine…I’m hiring you.
BUT…I can re-stripe 10K in an evening…if all the stars are aligned…
But figure walking…one stall…a minute…? 1300 stalls…?…1300 minutes…?…21 hours…2 days…3 days…
Here’s how I’d present it; “I’ll make sure the lines are the same length. I’ll make sure they’re straight. It’ll take two nights…maybe three. I’ll finish up and send an Invoice.”
Next…if the lines are “lined up”…it may take less time. If there’s a bunch of stenciling…if there’s a bunch of “head In” stalls…a few things make a difference.
Last…if you feel more comfortable saying 3 nights…or 3 afternoons…depends on when they close…say 3.
Take your time. Break up the job into manageable sections…and think of it as a few smaller jobs…just stuck together.
You’ll do fine.
After you get the job…put the oil based into the gun. Spray a line at the shop…then make sure the paint won’t splash around too much…but then head for the job. That way, you’ll feel more comfortable starting.
I hope I helped.
OH…I’ll be giving a 90 minute class at the Memphis TN Pavement Expo. Attend…if you can. …love to shake your hand.
Keep in touch.
Dan