facebookpixel

Reply To: Spray tip recommendations

Home Forums Pavement Striping Equipment Spray tip recommendations Reply To: Spray tip recommendations

Hey Stripe Guy
Yes…I don’t change anything.
The only thing here…just make sure it’s a striping tip…not a painting tip. The difference is the design of the actual orifice. One is a rectangle…giving an even dispersement of paint all the way across…( picture the paint coming through a rectangle…)
The painting tip has an orifice the shape of a football. When the paint tries to come through “short side” of the orifice…or the “points”…picture a cats pupil…it can’t. SO…less volume is applied…that way…when you overlap…like you’re spraying a house…or wall…the paint isn’t necessarily (2) coats thick.
Anyhow…I never change the tip…you’re fine. And again…just make sure it’s a “Striping” tip.
I believe the Graco Tips are Yellow…just like a Centerline…and the Titan tips have a (4) digit designation…not a (3) digit designation.
( All that said…I’ll bet you knew that…)
See ya.
Dan
P.S. …crap…just in case I misunderstood your question…I use a 6″ wide tip. It sprays a 6″ wide pattern at an assumed height of 12″.
I then lower my gun closer to the ground. I don’t own a 4″ tip. Whenever you spray an actual 12″ off the ground…too much shimmy, too much wind…and…if the job is a Re-stripe…and the existing line is 4.5″ wide…then what…?…lift the gun higher…!? First…you can only go so high…it’s still produces a 4″ line…and then…you’ll run out of POST…!
I also use a .019″ orifice.
I find the .017 is too thin…BUT…I move pretty quickly. ( I also use .021. On a Temporary Striping job…I move even more quickly…! )
So…if you’re a beginner…on a Re-stripe…maybe try a .017 with a 6″ wide capability. They’re also good for “Over Seal” striping. BUT…take a .019 too. You might find that you like it better. ( that’s all on my video )
Let me know if that helped.
Dan