facebookpixel

Reply To: Sprayers

Home Forums Pavement Striping Equipment Sprayers Reply To: Sprayers

Hello Arcee
I did see this post come into my email account. I’m sorry I waited to answer. I thought someone else may have an idea or two.
Anyhow…I have a few things to offer…
I almost sold my Conventional. I use it…but…I also use my Airless machine so much…I just get into a groove.
Selling my Conventional may still happen. ( Now that I’ve cleaned and played with it…I kinda like it again. We’ll see. )

But…when my Titan broke…I would’ve been down to just my Graco…if I didn’t have the Conventional. For me…that was a bit scary.
Having a “back up” or “second” machine is alway a good idea.
When I first started…like you…I had a few jobs, here and there. One machine was fine. AND…these were “Retail” jobs. SO…I could schedule whenever I wanted…such as…malls in the middle of the night…or…a Bank on Saturday. Now however, I also have “Commercial” work…where I follow a paving crew…and I’m on their schedule. I must be there. So…one machine for me…now…isn’t cool.
When I started all I had was the Conventional. I switched back and forth from Oil Based Paint to Latex in 5 minutes. It didn’t bother me. And now…with different plumbing…it’s even easier.
Here’s something though…if I’m striping a Latex job “Over Seal”. I cannot use both machines. The Airless give a very distinct line…differing from the Conventional. BUT…maybe I could stencil with the Conventional and stripe with the Airless. I just want you to know that the lines are different.
Last…here’s the hard part…I know you got a nice deal on your Conventional. DON’T be sorry you bought it.
a) There is always a market to Re-sell.
b) It’s a great machine. You may end up lovin’ it. I still love mine…but hardly use it…but that’s me.
I just feel more comfortable recommending an Airless to a “start up, first time, new striper”.
Again…it’s not an easy choice.
Here’s what I can recommend.
1) On a nice day…go put water in the machine and spray on your driveway. Practice. See how it feels.
2) Always know that the Titans are 2900.00 and the comparable Graco is 3400.00. No tax…because you’re buying from out of state. And…Free shipping. Those deals are always there. You can always get those. So…if money is tight and a new venture is just around the corner…no one can blame you if you wanted to wait and see.
I’m a Titan Distributor…that Titan deal is always there. It may vary 100.00. But it’s there.
Next…I use a Binks 2001 Gun to stencil. I have two…in case on fails or needs rebuilt. But, I had just one for my first few years. And…it sprayed both Latex and Oil…no problem. BUT…tell the seller what you’re spraying. There are different Air nozzles, needles and Fluid nozzles to match up.
Keep in mind…the Airless uses the same gun to stripe and spray stencils. You won’t have the extra cost of buying a second, different gun.
Bottom line…I don’t think it matters which way you go.
Practice with your Conventional. If two months go by and you have more work…by the Airless…then.
Sell the Kelly. Or keep it. There’s a market for them. Buy two Titans…blahblah. You can’t make a bad decision here.
God I hope I helped. I know you’re struggling. I’ve been there.
Keep in touch.
Dan
P.S. I’ll be wandering around the Nashville Show, coming in February. If we meet, I’ll show you the Titan and Graco. We’ll visit their booths. ( And if you buy a Graco…we’ll still be friends! Hell, I’ll encourage you. Keep in touch. You’ll do fine…no matter what your decision. I’ll help.)