facebookpixel

Reply To: binks info

Home Forums Pavement Striping Equipment binks info Reply To: binks info

Hello SS
…yes…the pressure on the tank is good at 30…but…you’re right…that’s water.
SO…30 may work pushing paint also…but don’t be afraid to go to 40.
( If you talk to Jim at JCL…he is a big fan of 40 and 40. )
Next…on the Atomizer…it’s what ever it takes.
I’m usually around 40 lbs also. But…I’m not afraid to go to 50…and…when I spray stencils…sometimes 55.
I may also “up” the pressure on the stencils…I’m pushing Paint through a small diameter hose and farther…but try it first before you just increase pressure.
Next…if ti does come out “splatter”…two things…
1) Increase the Atomizer to break those LARGE droplets of paint…into smaller droplets of paint…that we can now call “SPRAY”!
OR…OR…OR…
2) Add a splash of appropriate “thinner”…either water for Latex…or Mineral Spirits for Alkyd = “Oil” based paint.
Again…if “thin” water can be turned into a spray using air pressure…then so can paint…but…paint is thicker…so again…either add more Atomizing Pressure…or “thin” = “reduce” = “cut” the paint. Read the label…some Paint MFG’s allow up to 20%. Some City workers add 50%…!…I only say a splash. This allows the paint molecules to relax and let go of each other so the Air Atomizer can do it’s job.
Bottom line…start at 30 and 30. Next…add a splash…try it again…add one more splash…try it again…next…up it to 30 and 40…try it again…then 30 and 45…try it again… One thing at a time. You’ll get the feel of it.
Next…put a piece of plastic or cardboard…on the ground…like a stencil. Spray a test shot onto the plastic…or cardboard. Measure it. I generally have around 5″ lines. If it’s too wide…lower the gun a half an inch. Try it again. My gun is about 5″ off the ground. Start there…but don’t be afraid to adjust.
Let me know.
Dan