facebookpixel

Questions on TRUELINE Model 20 (hand pump) and 250N (Nitrogen)

Home Forums Pavement Striping Equipment Questions on TRUELINE Model 20 (hand pump) and 250N (Nitrogen)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am interested in possibly getting into the line striping business. Would there be any sense at all in buying the model 20 hand pump if my goal is to make money doing this? or do i need to step up to something like the nitrogen model? Any downsides to running nitrogen?

I am new to all of this. Of course i like the price of the hand pump ($600 ish), but the nitrogen model looks more suited to making a profit even though it costs more.

Do either of these machines do curb?

thanks for any help

Lee

Hello Lee
    How are you?
    First…thanks for the post.
    Next…I have two answers…
    1) Don’t buy it.
    2) Buy it.
    Here’s what I mean…

I don’t know anyone who has one…no striper. We all have airless machines. Period.
    Next…I know of a guy who tried one like this and offered that the side “curtains” get very drippy…very quickly.
    To be fair…maybe that’s an adjustment that needs to be tended to.
    Here’s my next answer…ready…?…
    This may sound like I’m talking out of both sides of my mouth…but…if you only have 600…ish…dollars…and need to feed your family…buy it…and get started.
    There’s a part of me that says…I don’t care what your first machine will be…get started.
    Then…maybe in a year or maybe even two…you’ll buy an airless…etc.
    In a perfect world you’ll buy an airless. But…it’s not a perfect world.
    The only thing I can say is this…get started.
    Next…the only thing I can offer on the Nitrogen model is this;…I’d find out where I can get that tank filled and certainly the cost of that.
    Also…maybe I’d look for a second tank too.
    I’m sure after a few jobs you’ll know how far you can go with the one tank.
    Last…if you need advice on how to stripe or anything else…let me know.
    I’d like to help more.
    Thanks again for the post.
    Dan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Dan,

I’m really looking for a business to get into and hoping line striping may be it. The Nitrogen model is appealing to me because it looks like it would fit in my mini van. If I get a bigger unit I would have to re-build my suspension and buy a trailer, or just buy a truck. All start-up expenses I want to avoid if possible. According to their site a nitrogen tank is about $100 to get in the rental program and $20 or so to re-fill. And it sprays for like 5 miles or something—but does it do curb?

I have not verified these prices locally.

Let me ask you, for a beginner with a max budget of $2,000 for a machine, what would you recommend? Brand, specific model, etc. Keeping in my mind that anything too big to fit in my mini van (with seats removed) will add $700-2,000 to my start-up costs.

I appreciate your help.

Lee

Hello Lee
    Let me say a couple things…
    1) When I started, I had a very heavy Conventional Machine. That said…those weigh 270 pounds, empty.
    I worked out of a van. I just don’t think any kind of suspension work is ever needed.
    Also…if necessary…I’d look into a hitch and a small, open trailer. I borrowed a buddy’s.
    2) As far as spraying curbs…I’m thinking no. These are sold as Turf Sprayers. The ad shows grass Soccer and Football fields. Also…there isn’t a “Gun”. That means you cannot spray stencils either.
    It looks like there’s a spray nozzle attached / screwed / bolted into the 4″ cover.
    That said…I do see they sell “Attachments”. One is a spray gun spraying a stencil. Therefore…you can use that to spray curbs…by hand. It doesn’t look like there’s a way to spray curbs from the machine…like an airless can.
    Check me on this. The MFG will certainly know more.It might be that the Attachments are only for certain models.
    As far as the budget goes…It’s not so much a question as to; “what is best”…it’s more a question of; “tell me what not to buy”.
    It’s my opinion that anything below an airless is open to the buyer. I wouldn’t buy a paint roller machine. They just don’t work on lots.
    Next…if you pay 3400.00 for a Titan 2850 or a Graco 3400…here’s what to think…
    If you stripe 5 jobs at 150.00…that’s 750.00. If you then sell the machine…you can probably sell it to almost any striper …in your town. You’ll get a little more that half; 1750.00…?…2000.00…?
    You’ve lost 900.00.
    If you stripe 5 jobs and make 1000.00…and sell…you’re down… 650.00.
    Here’s more…if you buy something other than an airless…and then try to sell it in a year or two…as a striper…I wouldn’t buy it. But…you may not be out any cash. Maybe you made 600.00 or 700.00…in the meantime.
    Lee…it’s now up to you.
    As I’ve said…I’m open to almost anything…just to get started.
    Here’s what I’d do next…
    1) See if Sherwin Williams will front you the cash. Pay them per month.
    2) Before that…see if you can line up a few jobs. Try your local places…self standing buildings where the owner is inside. Try a small burger joint, church, coffee shop, barber shop…etc.
    If you line up a few jobs…and if SW will front some of the cash…maybe you’re on your way.
    I hope that helps some.
    Let me know.
    Dan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.